The Iverson Quarter has new owners

Awhile back I discovered that three quarter-sections that we have been hunting on for decades were for sale. One of the quarters adjoins my brother Marv’’s land. Marv and Ray were moaning about the fact that it seems every year more local land gets sold to out-of-province buyers who promptly post it “No Hunting”, and they were afraid that these pieces of land might also soon be off-limits.

For a long time I have wanted to have a private woodlot of my own, and the quarter-section north of Marv’s place seemed a worthy candidate. However when I discovered the asking price of the land, I knew that footing the bill on my own would be a non-starter, so I placed a phone call to Glenn G, former pastor of the Mont Nebo Evangelical Free Church, very good friend of my brother, and a long-time hunting partner and friend. I knew that Glenn had expressed interest in buying it many years ago, so I asked him if he and Gloria would be interested in teaming up with Janet and myself in a joint purchase. It didn’t take long for them to say “go for it.”

After a few weeks of dealing with realtors, lawyers, bankers, etc., we can now say that we are the proud co-owners of 160 acres of our own.

Not everyone would be excited about owning “The Iverson Quarter”. It has broken the hearts of several farmers in the years since the first Norwegian immigrant homesteader first started clearing off the trees to discover marginal, rocky soil barely capable of growing a crop. A couple of small fields were abandoned about 20 years ago and are reverting to brush with aspen and the odd spruce tree. There is one field, 33 acres in size, that is still used for growing cereal crops. In fact this year’s crop (I believe it’s a variety of bearded wheat) was swathed but never combined. However most of the land is still treed, consisting mostly of mature trembling aspen, with a scattering of white spruce, and some pockets of willow and other shrubs.

Frankly it’s crappy farmland. However it’s nice deer habitat, and that’s what I’m mostly interested in.

We’ll probably rent out the field, and hope that the rental income at least pays the taxes. I think growing alfalfa would be a good idea, since the deer love it. Our only real plan for the near future is to do some trail construction, with the removed trees used as firewood. My inner silviculturist has some woodlot management plans, but they’ll need to be discussed with Glenn and Gloria. Dreams for the future might include a log cabin.

A couple of weekends ago both families spent a day at Shell Lake, including a walk around the property. Here’s a pic including most of us.

The estate

It’s hunting season, hence the high-visibility colours in this picture.

I told my kids that since we would soon be landowners, we needed to start behaving as the landed gentry, so I was bringing my tweeds, a walking stick and my pipe. Charlotte dryly replied that chewing tobacco would be more appropriate. So much for putting on airs.

7 Responses to “The Iverson Quarter has new owners”

1. lisa says:

Hey that’s awesome! I know Steve would be completely jealous! Congrats and enjoy the land!

2. Randall says:

Cool!

And I love the hats.

3. Deb W says:

Congrats to the Baron!! Very excited for you and hopefully that prize buck will feed onyour alfalfa!

4. Lorne Finlayson says:

Hi. I was poking around Google looking for information on seneca root and came upon your blog, then followed the link to this page. Can in assume that the Iverson quarter is where Jim Peterson and my sister, Evelyn lived after they were married? You are absolutely correct,it was hopeless farmland but interesting in other ways. I recall a large slough shared with the adjoining Mansfield land. Jim and I would trap muskrats on that slough. One winter I was poking around it and found a set of elk horns. Now, elk were unknown in that district at that time, but I hear they have returned. I carried those horns back to the house, but have no idea what happened to them. I’ve very pleased that the land had gone to you and your family. Phyllis Baun told my other sister, Norma, that the land was sold, but did not say t o whom.

Do you know who bought the other Peterson quarter, across the municipal road, and the Fred Peterson quarter up by the highway where Jim and Evelyn were living when they were taken?

By the way, thank you for the information in the blog about seneca root. As boys, Bruce McKay and I were into making some money by digging seneca root and I was starting a story about that adventure, but needed more information.

Best regards to you and your family.

Hi Lorne, Good to hear from you. Yes it is the quarter that the Jim Peterson family had lived on for awhile. There is a slough that barely extends into the east side of the land. Most of it is on David Helgeton’s land (he is a son of Helmar Helgeton). I remember my dad (Clifford) saying that at one time that slough was connected to the slough on my brother Marv’s land … the next quarter-section to the south.
    Interesting about the elk antlers. I remember when I was a child there was a single elk antler in the mud in my dad’s slough … it had been there many years. I’ve heard that the elk population is increasing, but I’ve never seen one in the area, though I’ve seen some moose. The whitetail deer population is healthy.
    I know that the other two quarters also sold, but I don’t recall the name of the buyer. I think it was someone from the Shell Lake area. I’ll ask my brother and will email you directly with the info.

6. Fred Helgeton says:

Hi Philip:

Like Lorne I just stumbled on to your site. Happy to hear that you ended up with the Iverson/Peterson quarter. I have many fond memories of times spent visiting Uncle, Aunt and Cousins there when I was a kid. We spent a good deal of time tramping around, exploring and generally getting into mischief.

Hi Fred, thanks for dropping by.