Saying goodbye to Michel

Farewell BBQ for MichelIt was back in early September, although it doesn’t seem that long, when Michel and Gerard started boarding with us. It’s been a good few months. I can’t say that my French has improved perceptibly, but their English skills have definitely improved.

This will be the last week of work for all the French monitors in the Saskatchewan school systems. Michel’s last day of work will be Wednesday, at which time he’ll be flying back to Qu├ębec (Gerard plans to stay around for awhile and look for other work).

To say goodbye to Michel, we had a few people over for a barbecue this evening. It was a fun time – Especially when the Congolese music CD started playing and Masa began singing along.

Then some younger soccer-playing friends dropped by and chatted awhile, and tried their hand on the trampoline.

I’m sure that Michel will be happy to be back with his family, but we will miss him.

4 Responses to “Saying goodbye to Michel”

  1. Randall says:

    Sounds like a great party, and Massa singing?? You should have turned on the video portion of the digital camera. That would have been a blast.

    Funny how God has somehow connected us with the Congo. There seems to be a direct line from here to there.

    anyway, it’s good for us to be able to care for some of them.

  2. Phil L says:

    Massa came directly from a soccer game where he had been injured. He had an ice pack on his leg and a big smile on his face the whole time.
    Yaounde dropped by later for a short chat.
    Most of the guests were contacts that Michel and Gerard have made through either soccer or the multicultural centre. Beside the Congo, we had Sudan and Somalia represented from the African continent. Also Michael from Colombia was here.

  3. deb says:

    I didn’t realize they were off! Jacob talks quite a bit about Michel and I know that he will be sad to see him go. I am thinking a batch of cookies from the grade 1 class to see him off may be in order.

  4. Phil L says:

    Deb, Michel departed two days early because he had something important to attend to back home. Wednesday was his last day of work. However I’m sure the cookies would be appreciated by others at the school.