Update on Walk for ALS

A few days ago I posted about the upcoming Walk for ALS. Picking up the pledge form just a few days before the event, I set myself a goal of raising $100.

In addition to my blog post, I emailed some family and friends who knew my brother Glen, and sent an email to my co-workers.Walk for ALS in Prince Albert 2008

The response was overwhelming. I collected $171 and received pledges from out-of-towners totalling another $330, for a total of $501. (not counting another $40 pledge that I found out about after returning from the walk).

Here is what one shirt-tail relative stated in his email response:

I still think about Glen often. Until Glen was diagnosed with ALS I had no idea of the devastation it causes. I still can’t understand why someone as awesome as Glen would be inflicted with such an evil disease! It was torture to watch Glen go through all that suffering, I can’t imagine what he went through! I still miss him very much. So this is something I will always support!

The threatening rain never materialized, and it turned out to be a great day for a walk. Thanks all for making my fund-raising easy.

Glen with Carmen, 1980 family camp-out

6 Responses to “Update on Walk for ALS”

1. Sarah Loseth says:

Thanks for walking on our behalf; it is a great cause.

2. Shirley Berge says:

When I heard the walk promoted on TV I felt like I should take part, but it was just a couple of days before the event and, of course, I didn’t. So I was very happy when I got your email that you were walking. If we find out early enough next year I’d like to join you, assuming you will do it again. I think we should do it as a family, as many of us as possible.

I believe ALS is about the most cruel disease there is and so few people have heard of it. I didn’t know anything about it before Glen was diagnosed. He was the absolute best and I miss him terribly. Thanks for walking to honor him, and raise money and awareness for this very worthy cause.

Shirley, According to the Walk for ALS website, it is possible to register teams for the walk. I think we should put together Team Glen for next year. If there’s a walk in Saskatoon that would be the logical place, but there are enough Loseths and Berges around P.A. that we should be able to get a few team members together.

4. Shirley says:

I’m in.

5. Carmen says:

Count me in! Thanks for doing the walk, I didn’t hear about it untill after you did it. Maybe we should do a Loseth camping trip in June just like the good old days and then we could all do the walk together! We Loseth’s don’t get together enough!

Carmen, A camping trip and ALS walk sounds like a good idea.
    By the way, you’ve changed somewhat since I took that picture of you with your dad.