Travel plans 2010 – England and Norway

A handful of our friends have been aware for a couple of weeks that Janet has been considering a trip to England.  I won’t go into the reasons on this blog, other than that it’s related to surgery scheduled for one of her family members.

It didn’t take long before the discussion moved from Janet taking a quick trip to the concept of Janet taking an extended trip to be with her parents.

Then the discussion progressed to the fact that our two youngest children really don’t know their grandparents very well, unlike their older siblings who spent the summer of 2009 on the island.

The upshot is that Janet, Jennifer and Fiona will be flying to London in less than two weeks, and then on to southern Cornwall.  The tickets have been purchased, and the girls have been registered in a school where they will be required to wear school uniforms.  The schools at both ends have been very accommodating.

Luke, Charlotte and I will carry on with life in Prince Albert.  However beginning in late July I will take four weeks of vacation leave to join Janet and the girls.

After I’ve spent a couple of weeks with them on the Isles of Scilly, we’ll all continue on to Norway.  Our plans aren’t fully firmed up yet, but we plan to spend the bulk of our time visiting my distant relatives in the Trondheim area, including Rindal, the village that my paternal grandparents both emigrated from, before returning to P.A. before school resumes in late August.

I spent a month in Norway in 1984, and have many fond memories.  After 26 years it will be great to make it back.  Some of my Norwegian relatives have been to Canada at various times over the years, and some on the Canadian side including my sister Carol have travelled to Norway, so some contacts have been maintained.  I am generally a stay-at-home guy, but I am already excited about this trip.

View Larger Map

18 Responses to “Travel plans 2010 – England and Norway”

1. roger loseth says:

eeeehaaaa!!! right on. ok so I’ll volunteer to come guard the wine cellar and provide a good influence for Luke and Charlotte while yer gone. :)

Roger, your generosity is overwhelming.

Sounds like fun!

Dixie and I are actually thinking of going to England this summer, but for a much shorter period of time.

What part of England, and when? It would be great to hoist a pint together in an English pub.

5. Ross Sundelin says:

I am so thrilled for Janet, Fiona and Jennifer! Wow, what an experience. I am going to miss seeing them when I make my infrequent visits, but the time will pass too quickly I’m sure! I hope the surgery goes well and that this will be a wonderful time for Janet and the girls. I do hope you, Phil, and the other two survive okay! I’ll have to stop by for Pizza and some fun times too. Please give our best wishes and fond farewells to Janet and the girls. I wish I could go to the Island as well this summer for a visit as it has always seemed to be such a special place from everyone’s recollections. God Bless – Ross, Jean, Janessa & David Sundelin

If we go we will visit Toni and Chris for sure. I also have an aunt and uncle (not biological) who live somewhere in southern England. I’m not sure where either place is in relation to the Isles of Scilly. But that would be really cool to do!

Oh, but it’ll likely be August and I see you’re there in July. Alas!

I’ll arrive in England around the 23rd or 24th of July. We haven’t decided exactly when we’ll leave England for Norway but it’ll probably be around August 7-9.

9. David Nelson says:

It sounds like an interesting trip Phil. I looked up Cornwall on Wikipedia and all the pictures remind me of Monty Python…..Holy Grail :)

Interestingly enough Dave, Monty Python’s Holy Grail was a spoof on the Arthurian legends, and Cornwall is reputed to be where King Arthur hung out. Folks where Janet comes from believe that King Arthur is buried on one of the sunken islands on the east part of the Isles of Scilly.

11. Greg J says:

Very interesting.

12. Toni says:

Phil – if you and Janet found yourselves with a day or 2 free on the way from Cornwall to Norway then we might have a bed or 2 available. It’s not exactly en route, so see what works for you.

Thanks for the kind offer Toni. It would be good to see you and Chris and Ben again. I will discuss it with Janet and we’ll get back to you as the travel plans firm up.

Phil: it looks like we’ll be in England between the 4th to the 16th. Maybe something will work out. But you’ll be on the islands, no? We’ll be in London the 5th-7th, apparently.

Dixie just said, “We’re not driving all over England just to see somebody we can see in Prince Albert.”

She obviously doesn’t understand how wonderful it would be for two guys to have a pint together in an English pub.

The Mermaid, at St Mary’s on the Isles of Scilly, would be a fine place to have an ale, despite what Dixie thinks.

But no I wasn’t thinking you’d be popping down to Cornwall. We might pass through London on our way to Norway. Still not definite, but we’ve found some cheap air fares direct from London to Trondeim. That would be sometime around Aug 7th to 9th.

16. Dixie says:

No offense, of course, Phil. And actually we’ll most likely be in London from the 5th to the 8th. So there you go. It could work! And especially since you guys WON’T be in PA for so long, it will be good to see you all. :)

17. Dixie says:

And, I’ll have to double check this with my mom, but it looks like her Grandma was born about 100km south of Rindal!

18. Lisa says:

I just read this and that’s awesome that the Janet, Jenn and Fiona are doing this extended visit! What an opportunity! Praying for safe travels for them and for you when you join them in July! Way cool!!